Monday, 8 August 2011

The Not-So Hipster Girls

       As we find ourselves in the midst of festival season, it appears that they're everywhere - those girls. Those girls who are so anti-fashion yet so stylish, so scruffy yet so sexy, so cool yet so indie - those girls GQ's Jonathan Heaf has deemed the 'Hipster Girls'.


        Now, I myself am not a hipster boy, let alone a hipster girl. In fact, being the stereotypically gay teenager that I am, my musical taste seems to have predominately stemmed from T.V. talent shows and don't-diss-me divas alike. My iTunes 'Top 25 Most Played' playlist is crammed with songs by Alicia Keys carefully mixed in with a bit of Whitney and Mariah back in the day when I used to listen to the likes of 'Hero', on repeat.
       However, in recent years this has changed - I still love a good sing-a-long to 'I Will Always Love You' and will often be seen dancing it out to 'Wannabe', as if I were the undiscovered sixth member of the Spice Girls but now, among chart-topping hits, I have begun to listen to the music, which the Hipster Girls listen to. I mix my Madonna with my Mystery Jets, my Wanted with my White Lies and my LMFAO with my Lykke Li - in other words, the hipster with the not-so hipster.

HIPSTER

NOT-SO HIPSTER

     With music it is so easy to become pretentious, hipster or not. 'Folk is so the foie-gras right now, darling.' 'What - that Mumford, shit?' A good tune is a good tune regardless of whether it's alternative or mainstream, if it makes you feel good and it's catchy it deserves just as much credit as something kooky, which strikes a chord within you. 90s music may be good to us for it's nostalgic memories, whilst dub-step may suit us for its club potential.
      In the same way, a good dress, is a good dress - regardless of style or make. The clean, minimalistic lines of a mainstream brand like Calvin Klein can sill be appreciated by those of us who prefer the designs of lesser-known labels, such as the tongue-and-cheek Ashish or the individual Acne.


    Of course, designer labels and songwriters do have their own individual styles and clienteles: Balmain attracts a rocker customer, whilst Tommy Hilfiger attracts a preppy one. Laura Marling sells to folk fans, whilst Rihanna sells to Pop fans. However, we needn't separate these genres and styles into two groups of hipster and not-so hipster
     The reality is no-one can  be a  hipster girl or boy because everyone has their cool-down point, no matter if it’s a guilty pleasure for Britney Spears or an eternal inner-love of Ralph Lauren, as people we’re far too three dimensional to limit ourselves to a sole hipster lifestyle.
     We crossover both designers and music tastes and enjoy each for what they are. Whether we love a chart-topping song for its simplicity but are more accustomed to The Vaccines or a Jean Paul Gaultier dress for its quirkiness yet prefer the cuts of Chloé, we mix it all up. After all most of the borderline hipster girls I know are diehard Glee addicts anyway.

3 comments:

  1. I love your last line - you are so right. I'm probably too predictably mainstream sometimes but I love discovering new designers/lines/color combos. There's something very satisfying about being there first, but I'd rather mix it up anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesomeness you are writing so good.
    :)

    ReplyDelete